Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bars, Booze and Biscuits

Ever since I have come home from South Africa I have noticed a sad little change to my lifestyle. I am not living as healthily as I would like to, as I used to or as I need to. Last night I went out and had far too much to drink. this morning when I woke up I decided to go for a few milky-way bars, 6 jammey dodgers (biscuits or "cookies" if you are American/Canadian) and a banana. That is what I ate for breakfast. I also had a pack of salt and vinegar crisps to devour but I was so sick with what I had already put in my body that I couldn't stomach them. They are still on the coffee table waiting for me to eat them. This is an especially bad change in life-style as I used to be made fun of for only eating healthy foods.

I watch a lot of reality t.v. and one of the shows I watch is the biggest loser. It is a show about very obese people who are trying to change their lives for the better by exercise and eating healthy. When the contestants are on screen and they start talking about the eating habits they used to have and how they got to where they are I get very scared. This is because I see myself at the beginning of the path they went down. These days I live a sedentary life fuelled by junk food. This has to change.

I am not overweight. I am still in moderately good shape but I am not fit and if I continue eating and living the way I am at the moment I will become obese. That is not something I want. Because it is hard to get motivated to go outside due to Irish weather it will be difficult getting out and doing regular exercise. I also live an hour or two from the nearest mountains so hiking is a tricky thing to organise. I will change my eating habits and prevent developing heavy drinking habits. Instead I will organise healthier ways for me and my friends to hand out and hopefully get off the fast track for the grave that I seem to be desperate to get on.

No comments: