Thursday, April 9, 2009

Swimming Superficiallity Sickness

I got back into the pool for half an hour the other day. It was quite good but I did manage to tire myself. I enjoy swimming and am looking forward to getting into better shape but I have to say that the process isn't going to be the most pleasant.

When I arrived at the pool I noticed this guy wandering too the poolside shower. He was in perfect shape, the kind of physical condition that people are airbrushed to look like. So I go on ahead and hop into the pool and do a few lengths and then take a break at which point I notice this chap is still at the shower flexing and showing off to the water. I go back into the water and go again and then on my second break I look across and notice that he's managed to get dressed... well at leased he's swapped his trunks for jeans. He's now out of the changing cubicle toweling himself off at the pool side.

It's a bit awkward being a skinny pale guy at the pool just trying to get into better shape when there are chaps like that showing off and basically making us feel less. I know it's silly but men feel the pressure to look good from the media too and I've got a feeling that trying to achieve this goal is going to be a process that embarrasses me on more than one occasion. I think that all people are at times uncomfortable with their appearance at times and it's only natural given the stereotypic "perfect" imagery that we are presented with on a daily basis.

I guess the quest to better yourself is a tough one that isn't made easier by people that have already achieved those goals. I'm going to stick it out and not let people in better shape or better looking intimidate me.


In other news, I was in the doctors today. I've had a cough for ages and thought it might be a chest infection. Fortunately its just a virus but it's still not pleasant. I'm on the paracetamol and bed rest until I'm all better

No comments: