Thursday, September 4, 2008

Retro Remakes, a game for Helen

So right when I am working on my ultra fun high octane fighter I hear about this competition run by retro-remakes. It is a bog-standard game creation comp except for one entry category "A game for Helen". Basically it is a competition to create a game that can be played by the mobility impaired.

Obviously if I were to just create a game following these guidelines getting it to the right people would be a tricky task, that is why I have decided that I will put the game I'm working on currently on ice (always a bad choice) and enter the competition to support the cause. I was unable to come up with a way to make the full version of my game compatible with the constraints put upon me by the mobility impaired controls (mouse and left click) so I have decided to work on an RPG... could Final Fantasy be influencing me? I have never wanted to work on an RPG before...

Anyway I have the basic movement engine up and running (in game maker) and I am now going to begin working on battle systems and character design. The entirety of my source material will be released free to encourage others to mod and edit it. The thinking behind this is that more of these RPGs will spring up that are fun to play for everyone, disabled or not.

The way I hope to avoid falling into a trap of developing for only the niche is that I will go about creating an RPG and only the controls will be affected by the constrictions.

Here is hoping it is a success

No comments: